Monday, August 15, 2011

Believe in Better Public Safety


As a husband and father of three children, I am committed to making District B a safer place for all of our families.  In 2003, my father was senselessly killed   during a burglary attempt at his home.  Losing him abruptly caused me great pain while at the same time, making me more passionate about the need to better protect our families in District B. According to data from the City of Houston's website,   four murders were committed during the month of June alone. I am committed to bringing us together as a community to come up with solutions so that we can prevent tragedies like what happened to my father and many others from happening in our community.  As your representative to the city council, I will work with you to make sure that the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of District B receives the highest priority. 
  
I will  bring together leaders from  civic groups and neighborhood associations located in District B to work with me to develop a plan to ensure that District B receives the necessary resources to protect our families and provide a secure and safe environment for our citizens to  live, work, and play.
  
I will  explore the development of a public-private partnership with the businesses in our community to identify  and fund  public safety initiatives such as the use of  security  cameras in parks and other  public areas the community  identifies that are  needed  to provide for the security and protection of our families. This type of public-private partnership has had a positive impact in other communities in our city and I believe it will produce positive results in District B as well.  I promise that budgetary constraints will not be used as a reason or excuse as to why we don't have the resources to make our community a secure and safe place to live.
  
I believe in funding positive crime prevention programs.   One of the most effective ways to reduce crime among our young people is the implementation of before and after school programs that decrease youth crimes and offer our children positive activities.  We must also provide adult intervention programs that benefit and help to rehabilitate many in our community who need our help and assistance to restart their lives.

Finally, I believe we should partner with the city to help ensure our police and fire departments have all the resources they need to ensure that our families are protected and our neighborhoods are safe.
  
Building a better District B starts with improving public safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment